Thursday, March 24, 2011

Unfinished Projects

I had this picture of what it would be.
I would peacefully be sewing by the fire after my son had gone to bed. The finished product would be a wonderful throw for the living room sofa that was both functional and enhanced the design of the room. Yet, here it sits-two months later...unfinished.


I am not naturally domestic by way of crafts. I love decorating my house. I am obsessed with keeping our home clean and organized. I am even improving in my cooking skills. But I think I missed the days in middle school where we covered sewing. Don't get me wrong, I can sew a button on a shirt like it's my job, but anything beyond that and I am lost- or at least royally intimidated. So I asked for assistance from my nearly 80 year-old grandma. Her sewing skills are truly impressive and a lost art to my generation. Being so, her part was done two months ago and I have made almost no progress since. The longer it sits, the less likely I am to complete it. Yet, it seems to mock me every day. "You can't do this. You're incapable of making a blanket." Ok, I know I am being melodramatic but do you ever start something with such determination- only to have it fizzle out and then...mock you? Such is the case of the blanket.

So here is to unfinished projects. To the hope that they will, one day, reach completion and fulfill their purpose in grandeur. And here is to letting myself off the hook and being thankful for what was accomplished today, (laundry, dishes, business calls, designing, cleaning, a visit from friends, and most importantly, the caring of my son)! Unfinished projects are inevitable. I guess the really sad part would be if I ceased to find excitment in the start of a new endeavor and just avoided it all together.

I am a work in progress and so is my blanket. For today, that's ok with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment