Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The First Look: Part 1

I have been meeting with several brides and grooms as of late. I love getting to know the couple and hearing how they first met, fell in love and the details of their engagement. Inevitably, at some point in our conversation about love, the question arises if they want to see one another before the ceremony. At least half of my clients are initially set on doing things the traditional way and not seeing one another until the brides entrance. I always listen because i understand completely. I was a bride before I became a photographer and I fully grasp their reasoning and desires. Then, I share a little about why I LOVE the "First Look". I talk of how I chose to do the First Look with my beloved, Jeremy. It was one of the best decisions I made regarding our wedding day. I will never forget the look on his face and emotion in my soul when he first saw me that day. It was in the quiet of the church sanctuary. It was just him, me and the photographer. It was intimate and beautiful. We were allowed to hug, kiss, cry, and savor the moment fully without hundreds looking on.


Another benefit is the ability to relax for the ceremony. As a bride, I was able to soak in the moments of the ceremony so much more because I felt calm and collected, having spent time with my love. I was fully aware of the day being about us after having those quiet moments together in the beginning of the day.

(Kelly & Dan, just moments after their "first look"- you can feel the joy and excitement!)

The last huge upside to the "First Look" that I want to mention is the flow of the day. There is nothing better than capturing the initial excitement of the bride and groom towards the beginning to the day. The joy in so genuine and beautiful and the images are that much more captivating because of it. When you wait until after the ceremony to do most of the pictures, there is a whole new dynamic. The bride and groom know that their guests are awaiting their arrival to begin the reception and the time factor weighs on them. At this point, it has already been a long day and they are ready to kick back and enjoy the fun that comes with the dinner & dancing at the reception. I love giving my bride and groom the opportunity to head right to the big party following their vows.


Having shared all that, I always respect the wishes of the Bride and Groom. If they are set on not seeing one another until walking down the aisle, then we plan their wedding day timeline accordingly.


So, this post is already way to long but I think it is a hot topic in wedding planning. In fact, The Knot recently listed NOT doing the "First Look" as one of the biggest photography mistakes one could make on their wedding day. I couldn't agree more.


Part 2 of this series will continue with posts from the perspective of a few of my 2010 brides.

2 comments:

  1. I just read your blog about First Look. And I must admit I was sort of disappointed to learn that Dan and Kelly(Planton)had chose to let you take their photos before the wedding. And as the mother of six girls(and Jake)I had always hoped that they would do it the traditional way. But after reading your story and your reasons I was touched and realized that the tradition was more for those of us looking on than for the bride and groom. I could see it in Dan and Kelly that day and in the images you captured. Thanks for sharing and opening my eyes to another way. Thanks

    ReplyDelete