Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Photography FAQ's: Part Two

Hello! Happy Wednesday!  Last week, we started the FAQ's series and today we will continue with a wonderful question from Alisha...

"Whose work has inspired you the most?  
What kind of gear do you use?"

These are so fun for me to address!  Thanks for the awesome questions, Alisha!  First, I have so many photographers that I absolutely love but the two that inspire me most are: Jasmine Star, who is from California and Jamie Delaine who is a Canada-based photographer.  They are fresh, different, and really have an ability to capture emotion.  When I have a chance, I take a look at their blogs just to stay inspired and without fail, I feel refreshed in my profession.  I also LOVE Ansel Adams' work when it comes to nature photography.  He has been my favorite since I was in high school when my love for photography first began. 


The second question is one I have wanted to share for a long time and never had a chance.  A lot of people ask what camera(s) I use and what lenses are my favorites.  So here it goes:

I have always used Canon.  I love the ease of use for shooting completely manually and the picture quality is wonderful.  Right now, I use the Canon 5d Mark III. I just made an investment in this camera and it was worth every penny.  The resolution is phenomenal and using a full-frame camera changes the whole look and feel of my images for the better.  I use the Canon 7d as my backup.  This camera is also solid.  


I have about 8 lenses but my go-to lenses are my primes.  These are fixed lenses which means I am not able to zoom in and out, but I am able to adjust my depth-of-field in an awesome way.  I love my 50mm 1.4 and my 28mm 1.8.  These two lenses define my style as a photographer and I wouldn't do a session without them.


I also love my 70-200mm f4 for shooting the ceremony and I have a wide-angle lens that I like to incorporate here and there for a little more creativity.  Another piece of gear that I couldn't live without is my external flash.  I use the Canon Speedlite EX580ii.  This is essential during wedding receptions.  

The other lenses are used sparingly but they have their roles and uses.  During a portrait session, your will find my prime lenses on camera about 90% of the time.  During a wedding, I will often use 5-6 different lenses depending on the situation. 

For some, this post may have been far too technical and thus, very boring.  But, I hope it helps those of you out there who hope to grow as a photographer and don't know where to start.  I would always suggest a Canon DSLR and a prime lens to begin.  The 50mm 1.8 is just $100 and will revolutionize your pictures!

In the coming days, I plan on answer another great question from Alisha and will continue to address questions from others as well.  Keep them coming! :) 





No comments:

Post a Comment