Saturday, March 9, 2013

Photography FAQ's: Part One

It is snowing. And raining. And snowing again.  Today is the perfect day to get some work done and start my "Photography FAQ's" series!  A couple weeks ago, I did a Facebook post asking for questions that are photography and/or business related!  I received some pretty awesome questions and can't wait to dive in.  So, without further ado...

Jodi asks...

"I was wondering how you stay up to date on the latest trends in photography and if people will respond well to those trends when you're taking photos?"

What an excellent question!  The answer really has two parts. First, I stay up to date by being completely saturated in wedding & portraits blogs, magazines and other publications.  This gives me insight into what my clients may be looking for or suggestions I can make to enhance their experience with me and the images that capture some of their most important moments in life.  I also stay in touch with other vendors in the industry.  For example, I have friends who are phenomenal florists, graphic designers, or business owners of vintage shoppes, etc.  We can then keep one another informed as to what trends are making headlines for the given year.  For example, here are a few of the tops trends for 2013 weddings:

- Mint or Peach colored bridesmaid dresses
- Feathered or glitzy centerpieces
- Fun and personalized RSVP cards like this one below:


The second part of Jodi's question is even more significant.  One decision I made early in starting my business is that I was going to get to know my clients.  This means that I learn to read them and ask questions that give me a good indication of their style, personality type and more.  As a result, I am able to capture the real them in an authentic way.  

This process starts long before our session begins.  By the time we are shooting, my clients and I both have a clear understanding of what style they like and what emotions we are trying to convey through this art form.  Then, it is up to me to create the ideal setting and atmosphere for this to happen.  Some clients are super informed and know what they want down to what props they want to include and the setting (urban, rustic,) they hope to be photographed in.  Others put their trust in me completely and let me lead the way.  Both are great as long as I listen to the client and then find a creative way to capture their vision.  

I hope this helps!  Stay tuned for Part Two of FAQ's!  Also, feel free to e-mail, comment or message me with more questions as I LOVE to hear them and GROW from answering them! 

Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment