Friday, July 29, 2011

Grad Portraits: Tips for the Session!

Senior portrait season is in full-swing right now! I am loving this as grad pictures are one of my favorites to capture! I thought it may be helpful to share a few tips as many of you prepare for your sessions!



Tip #1: Plan Ahead


This may seem like common sense but it is so important! Before you speak with the photographer, think of what you're looking for. Take a close look at the photographer's website and write down a few things you really liked. This may be the style of photography, the locations, or any other details you hope to have be a part of your session. A few weeks before the session, start planning your outfits and accessories so you're prepared for the big day!




Tip #2: Variety is Good!

When getting your pictures taken, you want to have a lot to select from. Choosing outfits that vary in style and color is a great way to start. Sometimes, grads come with outfits that look very similar and this can cause the images to look a bit redundent. I always suggest bringing a few casual outfits, a formal or dressy one and then maybe a "themed" oufit. A themed outfit could be one in your sports uniform, prom dress or anything else that is a little out of the box.
Also, when I photograph grads, we usually do 2-4 different locations to ensure there is variation in background! I have several different backdrops and dozens of locations for outdoors I like to use- so this ensures a unique backdrop with many options.



Tip #3: Incorperate Things that make you.. you!


I LOVE when grads bring something into the session that you are passionate about. For some it is an instrument you've played for 10 years, for others it the basketball you've practiced with since childhood and for a few it is your beloved pet! Whatever the passion, bring it! It enhances your portraits and makes them that much more unique, personal and creative! This whole experience is about capturing the REAL you and if your life is all about a particular sport or hobby- I want to include that in your pictures!




Tip #4: Be Realistic

Because I adore natural light, a big part of your session will be outside. As such, the elements come into play. Sometimes it's breezy, other days it's a little humid- this may impact your hair a bit- but that's OK! It natural, candid and beautiful to be outside and part of the appeal is that it is real- not stiff. Soak up this authenticity for all it is and get ready to have a blast!



Tip #5: Relax, be yourself!

I've said this before, but part why I love grads is that no two sessions are alike. Each person has their own unique personality and this makes each session different! I so enjoy getting to know my clients so that their personality is showcased through their images.
Everyone is nervous going into the session- that is normal. But know that it is my goal to make you feel comfortable and usually within a few minutes, grads are having a great time and feeling very relaxed!



I hope these tips help as your get ready for your sessions! Please feel free to ask more questions should you think of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment