Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Importance of Being a 2nd Shooter


It had been years since I had done this. Four and a half years to be exact. And even then, only a couple times. When my friend and outstanding photographer, Anna Wachter, e-mailed me asking, I jumped at the rare chance. She was surprised, thinking it would be a long-shot that I would have a Saturday available but I was able to move a few things around and make it work. 

Being a 2nd shooter is a joy. Your job is to enable the main photographer to focus on what they do best. To notice details. Tweek shots. And capture unique angles and details. I loved this couple. Mary and Kyle were fun, adorable together and ready to have a great time. The Calhoun Beach Club has become one of my favorite venues to date. Rarely do I want to spend so much time indoors photographing. But the modern, grand feel, the large elegant windows and the gorgeous natural light made me not want to leave.

I read recently from one of my favorite photographers that she 2nd shoots a wedding at least once a year.  Not only is it fun, but it helps us grow as photographers.  It allows us to look for unique angles more and to learn how to better communicate with our own 2nd shooters.  I couldn't agree more!  

Here are a few of the images I captured on Saturday:


No comments:

Post a Comment